Monday, May 24, 2010

The basics

Like any self taught baker, as well as others -there are few things you begin to pick up and get used to once you begin baking.

You begin to remember what to do once a recipe instructs you to:
1. cream the sugar & butter
2. fold the mixture etc.

Believe me I am no expert (I think I am still beginner to intermediate) so I think you'll find some of these tips as useful as I have.


  • If the recipe ever tells you to SIFT the flour. Do it! It is so important to do this.
  • If you ever want to separate the egg yolk from the egg white, you can do this:

  • 1 cup of self raising flour = 1 cup of all purpose plain flour + 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder + 1/8 teaspoon of salt
  • 1 cup wheat flour = 7/8 cup all-purpose flour plus 2 tablespoons wheat germ
  • to prevent cakes, brownies etc. from sticking to the bottom of your baking pan, grease the inside of the pan and then line it with baking paper -making sure that there is enough paper sticking out from the opposite edges so u can pull the cake out when it's finished baking!
  • Making butter soften faster: If you're impatient like I am, you'll be inclined to microwave your butter. I usually almost always turn the butter in liquid... so next time try grating the butter. It will melt a lot faster because it is in small pieces!


Credits go to Martha Stewart of course. My personal hero!
For other tips, go here:
http://www.marthastewart.com/photogallery/good-things-for-baking

xx

4 comments:

  1. Very clever using the slotted spoon for separating the egg!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your tips - the grating of the butter tip is one I only found out about recently and will be using it next time because I too tend to liquidise it in the microwave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your separate the egg yolk from the egg white techniques =)

    ReplyDelete